Today is World Polio Day. World Polio Day was started by Rotary International and is an annual day on October 24 where the world comes together to stress the importance of global polio eradication. The good news is polio is nearing complete eradication with only three countries where the paralysing disease is still endemic – Nigeria, Pakistan and Afghanistan. India is currently one-year free from any reported polio cases.
According to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative there have been 171 reported cases of polio, down substantially from 467 reported by this time last year. The world is 99% free of polio.
What can you do to help?
- The UN Foundation’s Shot at Life program is fundraising to vaccinate 40,000 children by Halloween. $1 can vaccinate one child. Learn more and donate here.
- You can lend your voice to spread the word about polio eradication on EndPolio.com.
- You can keep up-to-date on polio eradication news on the Gates Foundation’s polio page.
- ‘We can’t afford to lose polio fight’ (cnn.com)
- With An Army Of Vaccinators, India Subdues Polio (npr.org)
Photo: UN Photo/Evan Schneider