This month the UN Foundation has teamed up with the popular social good app, Charity Miles, to raise money for great causes. The iPhone/Android app can be easily downloaded to your smartphone and every time you exercise – whether it’s running, biking, or walking – you donate money to a deserving charity.
Through the UN Foundation’s #VDay10k campaign your miles can be donated to Shot@Life to provide lifesaving vaccines for children in need, Nothing But Nets that provides nets to fight against malaria, and Girl Up that provides education for girls in developing countries – all worthy UN Foundation campaigns.
Charity Miles will donate 25 cents for every mile you walk or run, and 10 cents for every mile you bike. Each time you finish your exercise you can share how far you’ve gone and also choose the charity where you would like your donation to go such as in the tweet below.
The person who goes the farthest distance will be featured at the end of the month by the UN Foundation.
Download for the iPhone:
Download for Android:
Photo: Charity Miles
In an effort to learn more about charitably minded online moms who donate to good causes we asked 1000 Social Good Moms members about their giving habits, influence of social media and blogging on their giving, and the issues that matter most to them. The survey was sent out in January 2013 with 250 respondents.
We published some of the key discoveries on our “Moms and 2012 Charitable Giving” infographic. Keep reading below for additional survey data. If you would like to share our infographic you can grab it at this link.
How likely are you to donate online?
- 41.77% – very likely
- 30.38% – likely
- 26.58% – somewhat likely
- 1.27% – not likely
How many times did you donate to a charity or nonprofit in 2012?
- 55.13% – 5+times
- 15.38% – 2 times
- 14.1% – 3 times
- 12.82% – 4 times
- 2.56% – 1 times
What was your average donation amount?
- 43.04% – $25 – $50
- 31.65% – less than $25
- 17.72% – $50 – $100
- 7.59% – $100+
What prompts you to donate to a nonprofit or charity? Choose all that apply.
- 86.08% – You are familiar with the charity already.
- 75.95% – There was a natural disaster or national tragedy and you gave.
- 65.82% – A charity launched a compelling campaign with a great cause.
- 60.76% – You were encouraged to give by friends, either online or offline.
- 48.10% – You read about the charity on a blog.
- 41.77% – You heard about it via social media.
- 13.92% – You noticed an online or print advertisement for the charity.
- 3.80% – There is a celebrity advocating for a charity.
Did your family’s charitable donations increase, decrease or stay the same in 2012?
- 44.84% – stayed the same
- 43.59 % – increased
- 11.54% – decreased
Are you more likely to donate to a cause if you hear or read about it on…. (choose one)
- 44.87% – blogs
- 38.46% – social media
- 10.26% – TV
- 6.41% – advertisement
What issues matter most to you? Choose all that apply?
- 93.67% – Issues Affecting Women and Girls
- 93.67% – Child Health
- 93.67%- Hunger (in US and abroad)
- 81.01% – Education
- 73.42% – Maternal Health
- 62.03% – Clean Water and Sanitation
- 43.04% – Climate/ Global Warming
- 43.04% – Vaccines in Developing Countries
If you would like to share our infographic you can grab it at this link.